Tier 4 Final Compliant Generator Controllers for Mobile Towable Generators
A multi-national equipment manufacturer was looking for a control solution partner to help them stand out. Their generator division was rapidly growing, and they hoped to continue that growth with a new control solution partner that could adapt to the new Tier 4 Final engine families. More importantly, they wanted a partner who could work alongside its engineering group and be part of the deployment team.
The Big Challenge
Industrial Engine Equipment OEMs are responding to stricter emissions. They face adapting more complex control solutions in a digital environment where ease of use, reliability, and adaptability are keys to product and equipment success. They needed to adjust and standardize their control solutions to a unified platform over its broad range of mobile towable generators to meet Tier 4 Final emission requirements while maintaining the same reliability, ease of use and ruggedness they had with their previous platform.
Partner Growth Strategy
- Work over the long term to standardize control solution
- Work with its generator division as it grows
- Become part of the manufacturer’s strategy to stand out from the crowd
- Move from Tier 4 Interim to Tier 4 Final regulations to satisfy EPA deadlines
- Start the relationship with the new Tier 4 Final models
- Standardize on a single robust family of control solutions
Easy to Use
- Move from analog gauge instruments to digital
- Require a powerful and configurable solution
- Must be simple enough to use by non-technical users
The Consultative Process
DynaGen™ coordinated a webinar introducing the customer to its TOUGH Series™ of control solutions. They facilitated the installation of a control solution wired to a live engine in the customer’s test lab, which enabled the customer to see an actual system wired, configured, programmed and fully operational. This proof-of-concept built confidence that the ToughSeries controller was the right solution. Engineering support provided during the prototyping and development stages allowed the customer to provide continuous feedback. DynaGen engineers worked alongside the customer to maximize the solution value in the overall system.
Several key innovations resulted from the collaborative effort, which was a differentiator in the complete mobile towable generator system. A few of the differentiators were:
- SCR after-treatment system and the capability to ensure continuous operation 24/7 and supply of Urea.
- Unique and novel methods to protect engine turbo in cold weather starting climates.
- J1939 high-level capabilities, expanding the capabilities on remote connectivity
- HMI implementation which encompasses after treatment systems for SCR, DPF, DOC and combination systems.
The Best Solution
The DynaGen™ TG410 controller provided a simple, easy-to-use solution that was reliable and highly configurable with innovative features that provided differentiation for the customer. Through a collaborative development process, the customer was able to fully integrate the TG410 into their design, eliminating unnecessary components and increasing overall reliability with lower production costs. Remote management by wireless telemetry simplifies service on complex Tier 4 Final engines. The controller is positively impacting the customer’s bottom line with significant reductions in repair, replacement, and maintenance costs. The controller’s industry-leading 5-year warranty provides the equipment OEM and the customer peace of mind.
In a collaborative effort, the DynaGen controller was also tested to environmental limits well beyond the product specifications, as one of the lab staff indicated: “The TG410 controller was difficult to destroy”.